Marriage abroad – Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry – Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

Depending on the law of the foreign country, local civil or religious officials generally perform marriages. Marriages performed out of the US territory or the United Kingdom are considered valid in the country where they take place if they are entered into in accordance with local law. Recognition of the validity of marriages performed abroad depends on the laws of the place in which the marriage is to be solemnized.

When planning to get married overseas it is common that the authorities of the country you are planning to get married in will request an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry or a Certificate of No Impediment. This document is a way of proving that there is no Impediment/Obstruction in allowing you to get married and it also shows that there has been no objection to your proposed marriage.

An Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry or a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) is now regularly requested by US and British nationals who intend to marry abroad.

If you live in the USA or in the UK and would like to request an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry or a CNI then you would simply need to contact your local Registry Office and inform them that you wish to get married overseas and require such documents. Notices will then be placed and the document will then be issued 28 days after you have made the application.

For example, a British CNI contains 8 pieces of information for both spouses which are as follows:

  • Name & Surname
  • Age
  • Condition to Marry (for example – Single, Previous Marriage Dissolved etc.)
  • Occupation
  • Place of Residence
  • Period of Residence at the address
  • Location in which Marriage will be solemnized
  • Nationality & Country of Residence

Once you have obtained one of the above documents you should then present this to the government body overseas which has requested it. In most circumstances the certificate will also require an apostille so you find out ore about this requirement with foreign government body concerned.

In addition to obtaining a CNI we would also recommend that you investigate if any further documents may be required. You may need to provide copies of birth certificates, proof of divorce in the form of a decree absolute or a sworn affidavit confirming you are legally able to marry.

It is essential that you find out which documents you will need to present overseas to get married. If your documents need to be legalised by apostille then you should arrange this before travelling abroad in order to save both time and money.

At Studio Traduzioni Prof. Dott. Matthew J. Bologna & Associati we are experts and will be glad to assist you at any time.

For further information please contact our office at +39 3208348604 or email us: [email protected]